I often sit at Starbucks and unintentionally hear people giving advice. And, a lot of times, I see people listening to my conversations. This is never intentional, and I actually welcome it. I remember when I started a young adult bible study at starbucks over the summer. We started small, but quickly grew to around 20 people taking up this little corner niche of the store. Right where we sat, the drinks came out. This often gave those listening an opportunity to listen to us as we studied through the Gospel of John. And, man, what a wide range of responses people gave. One day a wife from a fallen pastor in our valley walked up crying and telling me that her husband is still looking for a place to call home and would love to reconnect. Another time, an English fellow walked up and told us we were giving Jesus a bad name. It got me thinking about what happened that day. We had our bible's opened and we were passionate about a specific passage about Jesus love for the world. I couldn't imagine, with the Gospel being proclaimed, that a man would say that. I immediately came to this passage:
"For the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths. (2 Timothy 4:3, 4 ESV)"
Paul notices that people are disregarding the truth of scripture to fit their own personal need to get, "self-help". I cannot judge what was in the heart of this man and do not want to attempt that. I am simply noting that, whether it was this guy or someone else, there are people who do not want Christ, and HIS Gospel elevated, but they want "the self" exalted. Friends, this is not unusual. In fact I am guilty of indulging in self too much. It is a constant battle. But the answer is most certainly not "self-help" advice that I see many people touting, encouraging, and posting on social media. It is thick with arrogance and contrary to scripture when I see someone post, "the ten ways to improve your life" or "5 keys to enjoy life", and not one of the steps is about, or even mentions Jesus or the Gospel.
Let me give you a list from Scripture on how to help "self":
1. SURRENDER IT (Galatians 2:20)
2. DENY IT (Mt. 16:24-25)
3. KILL IT (Eph. 4:22-24)
4. OFFER IT (Romans 12:1-2)
5. HUMBLE IT (Philippians 2:1-4)
6. And Finally, it is important that none of this is possible without the awesome and profound redemption given in Jesus Christ. We are dead to sin and alive to Christ. Romans is clear that we can only do what this list requires through the power of Jesus Christ (Romans chs. 5-8).
No, you are not the only one that can control your happiness. No you are not the only one that has the power to change attitude. No you are not the one that has complete control of yourself. No, that role, and that responsibility belongs to Jesus. He bought you at a price (2 Corinthians 6:20). He first loved you in order for you to be able to love (I John 4:7-11). And it is HIM that makes you complete through His redemptive plan (Romans 8:28-31).
I implore you to give your life over, completely to Jesus. This "self-help" movement of our postmodern culture has corroded away the truth of The GOSPEL and Christ wants us and wants all of us. It seems clear to me that the "self-help" stuff is almost entirely bad and contrary to our new nature and new citizenship. Giving into the lie of "the self" will inevitably strip us of the Gospel and the transformational power of the Gospel. Don't give control back to the dead, old self (Ephesians 4:22-24). But continue to live in the newness of your transformed mind, exalting Jesus and His life giving grace.
No comments:
Post a Comment