As I have seen all of my FB friends talk about the things that they are thankful for, I have spent much time considering what I am thankful for in this life, and a lot comes to mind. I am thankful for my wife, who is the best partner a guy could ask for. I am thankful for my children, all of whom bring a unique personality anf love to a Dad's life that is irreplacable. i am thankful to my Mom, Dad, brother, and sister, who all have slightly taken part in the man I am today. I am thankful for my church family, who have overwhelmed my family with a welcoming and accepting attitude, along with an excitement for what God is doing through the young adult ministry in our church.
But above all these things, I have been reminded of a passage that is very familiar to the believer. James 1: 2-4 says "Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. (ESV)". Trials, in the biblical sense, refine our character, and the past few years for me and my family have been filled with various trials. When I think of the trials that I, even still, am going through, I can't have any other thought other than, "I wouldn't want to be anywhere else". I am thankful for the trials that are in my life and I am thankful because I know that God wants to use these trials to refine my character, and bring me into a closer discipleship relationship with Jesus.
For those of you that do not know, my wife and I, after much prayer and consideration, decided that the ministry God was calling us to was this college/young adult ministry. We knew that following in God's will would be tough, and it has been. Two times already, I woke up not knowing how I would fill my gas tank or get formula for my baby. I know that some may criticize me for pushing through. But I did, and both times when we felt desperate God brought us to our knees in absolute reliance on him. Then, what I consider a miracle happened both times. Two different young men snuck some cash into my possession and God provided for my family. It brought my wife and I to tears in thankfulness, not necessarily for the money, but for the trial we encountered and were refined by.
I would not have my position before God any other way: a humble servant, saved by Grace alone, and willing to serve His church as He sees fit. I am thankful that God wants to personally teach me and invest personally. He knows my name, and that is a humble thought.
It reminds me of Philippians 1:29 "For it has been granted to you that for the sake of Christ you should not only believe in him but also suffer for his sake, engaged in the same conflict that you saw I had and now hear that I still have. (ESV)". Not only has God given me the gift of belief, but he has also given me the gift of suffering. I count it a blessing to identify with my savior in this struggle to serve and follow him in a dark and broken world.
So as we think of all the wonderful blessing we have been given, may we also rejoice in our sufferings together as a church. May we thank God for using trials to purge us of sin and self reliance so that we may more clearly see the grace he has so loviongly lavished onto us. During this holiday season, I am thankful for my Christian family and the struggle we go through everyday to live gospel centered lives. Happy thanksgiving everyone!
No comments:
Post a Comment