Tuesday, December 6, 2011

GOLD MEMBER!

Well, after a few weeks of going silent I am happy to announce to you all that I am officially a "gold member" Starbucks cardholder. I will get my special gold card in the mail any day now.

Besides the fact that this tells you all that I drink a disgusting amount of coffee beverages, it encourages me! Each "swipe of the card" is an opportunity for me to do what Jesus calls His disciples to do in the great commission (Mt. 28:18-20), to share His truth and good news with the world. And although I haven't posted a lot, there are a lot of people I want to introduce you to. These are people from a plethora of backgrounds who may be hurting and needing Jesus, to the callous who think I am wasting my time when they see my Greek or Hebrew study tools sitting out, who also are in desperate need of Jesus. I can tell you these people have had such a profound impact on me and my discipleship relationship to Jesus. And I am very excited to share their stories with you for the purpose of encouraging you.

Why, you ask? Because I believe when you walk into Starbucks, Walmart, Albertsons, or any local place of business, you have an opportunity to share the Gospel with someone. I don't mean that you have an opportunity to jam the bible down someones throat. No, you have an opportunity to share verbally with someone, but it also involves sharing your life with them. Be open, share your story, and listen to theirs, because they are in desperate need of a savior to breath life into them for the first time.

I recently preached on Colossians 1:1-14 and discussed in three applications how this passage practically plays out in our lives.

I. The Gospel Goes (v. 3-5, 12-14)
We see here that not only does the Gospel go to Colosse and is received, but Paul and his associates hear of their faith in Christ and how they were rooted in the Gospel
II. The Gospel Grows (v. 6, 9)
Again here the Gospel grows in the lives of the believers of this church as such a way that is evident.
III. The Gospel overflows (v. 10)
Then the Gospel bears fruit and causes an outward growth in the believer.

BY no means are these tag lines exegetically dissected, however after good exegesis we can glean from this introduction how the Gospel functions in the life of a believer. The Gospel Goes forth, grows in the believer, and overflows out of the believer. Does the Gospel display such a role in your life? Does it grow within in such a manner as to change your identity, pushing that identity in conformation to Jesus? And as it grows and its power is evidently displayed, does it cause you to erupt with such joy and satisfaction that you have no choice but to share it with others? This is how I feel when I get into Starbucks and swipe my card!

So remember, every swipe of the card is an opportunity to share the Gospel with someone in need. Simply be open to what and who is around you. May we continue to pray for and encourage each other as we share this Gospel with those around us!

1 comment:

  1. I love your point in this post...but I am noticing how long it has been since the last post!?!? You have a way with words and speaking truth. Don't stop writing or sharing it!

    ReplyDelete